Troubled boxer offers to replace Mike Tyson in Jake Paul fight following medical scare

The great boxer Mike Tyson suffered a health scare on a flight this weekend, raising concerns about the status of this summer’s highly anticipated match against the sport’s new sensation, Jake Paul.

The news prompted struggling boxer Ryan Garcia to offer himself as a potential replacement, despite recent calls for him to quit the sport after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs in his fight against Devin Haney.

Jake Paul speaks on stage at the Arlington press conference for the Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson boxing match at Texas Live! on May 16, 2024 in Arlington, Texas. (Cooper Neill/Getty Images for Netflix)

News broke Monday that Tyson was recovering after the 58-year-old suffered nausea and dizziness during a Miami-Los Angeles flight the day before.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

According to a statement from its representatives, the incident was “due to an ulcer outbreak 30 minutes before landing.”

“Fortunately, Mr. Tyson is doing very well,” read the statement released via the Associated Press. “He thanks the medical staff who were there to help him.”

In addition to concerns about Tyson’s health, there were also concerns about the incident’s impact on the July 20 fight between Tyson and Paul. The bout, which is a Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations-sanctioned bout, will take place at the 80,000-seat home of the Dallas Cowboys and will be streamed live on Netflix.

Mike Tyson and Jake Paul face off at press conference

From left, Mike Tyson, Nakisa Bidarian and Jake Paul pose on stage during the press conference for the Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson boxing match in Arlington at Texas Live! on May 16, 2024 in Arlington, Texas. (Cooper Neill/Getty Images for Netflix)

Questions about the status of the fight prompted Garcia to reach out to Paul on social media and offer himself as a potential replacement.

MIKE TYSON SUFFERED FROM MEDICAL FEAR DURING FLIGHT BEFORE FIGHT WITH JAKE PAUL: REPORTS

“If you’re ready to fight, if Mike can’t do it, let me know, I’ll replace him,” Garcia said in a direct message to Paul, which he shared in a screenshot at X Monday.

However, Paul quickly allayed any concerns on social media with his own statement.

“You like to make up shit before you know the facts about clicks/likes,” he said in an article on X. “Nothing has changed.”

Garcia’s offer comes amid backlash the 25-year-old boxer is facing from the boxing community after testing positive for a banned substance following his fight against Devin Haney last month.

Ryan Garcia shoots Devein Haney

Devin Haney defends a punch from Ryan Garcia at the Barclays Center on April 20, 2024 in New York. (Cris Esqueda/Golden Boy/Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The fight, which was expected to be a battle for the WBC super lightweight title before Garcia missed weight, ended in a majority decision victory for him on April 20. ESPN later reported that he tested positive for the performance-enhancing substance Ostarine the day before and the day of the fight, citing a letter from the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association.

A B sample also later tested negative for the banned substance, the outlet reported. Garcia and his team have strongly denied any wrongdoing and the matter remains under review by the New York State Athletic Commission.

Haney’s father, Bill, made a call last week to “remove him from the sport.”

“It’s a terrible thing. It’s a terrible thing for the sport in general. It’s a terrible thing for boxing,” he told TMZ Sports. In a since-deleted message on UFC legend Conor McGregor called for a “lifetime ban”.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow Fox News Digital sports coverage onand subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.



#