New York City is moving forward with a plan to send migrants to upstate New York after resistance from local leaders and a temporary restraining order.
The plan was announced on Friday to provide temporary accommodation at two hotels in Orange Lake and Orangeburg to as many as 300 single adult male asylum seekers for up to four months.
However, the proposal was met with resistance, leading to a delay after an initial transfer was announced for Wednesday – even as City said plans had not changed.
A spokesman for Mayor Eric Adams previously said New York City officials intended to move forward with at least part of the plan and send “a small number of applicants to asylum” in Orange County. However, at the end of the day, the Associated Press reported that no migrants had arrived at the Crossroads Hotel.
NEW YORK CITY IS CONSIDERING ‘ALL OPTIONS’ TO HOUSING ASYLUM SEEKERS, EVEN BY CLOSING STREETS
Fabien Levy also reportedly explained that the city needs “the federal government to act, but until it does, we need other elected officials from the state and the country to do their part.”
“We were discussing legal and security issues with our state partners, and although we took a break yesterday, our plans have not changed,” Levy told Fox News Digital in an emailed statement. Thursday morning.
Local officials accused the mayor of doing the same thing as southern governors: deporting asylum seekers without properly alerting the municipalities where people were heading.
COURT ORDER BLOCKS NYC’S PLAN TO MOVE MIGRANTS TO UPSTATE AFTER CITY AND COUNTY OFFICIALS RIVE UP
“It was a sneak attack in the dark of night,” Orangetown Supervisor Teresa Kenny said at a press conference Wednesday.
Kenny said his town in Rockland County was granted a temporary restraining order preventing the Armoni Inn and Suites from receiving asylum seekers as his trial progresses. This is in addition to emergency declarations in Rockland and Orange counties that are designed to prevent hotels or motels from housing migrants.
Rockland County Executive Ed Day said the county is pursuing its own litigation.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
New York City has been grappling with a surge of more than 60,000 asylum seekers since last spring. The administration uses hotels to accommodate migrants and 37,500 asylum seekers are currently being cared for by the city.
This all preceded an expected influx of asylum seekers at the southern border as pandemic-era Title 42 restrictions end Thursday.
“I’m working closely with the mayor to identify more sites where we can accommodate these people,” Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said Wednesday, according to Gothamist.
Michael Lee of Fox News and The Associated Press contributed to this report.